Sunday 18 November 2018

Winter Skincare

My Essential Beauty Products & How I Look After My Skin

I don't know about you but I feel like the end of the year has slowly crept up on us and it's almost Christmas again!  Not that I'm complaining.  I love Christmas and have already started planning my Christmas decorations this year.  I can't wait for that cosy feeling, sitting down in the evenings to watch TV or read a book with the Christmas tree lights on and a festive candle burning.


At the same time we shouldn't forget about our skin and it's more important than ever not to forget about it this time of year.  I find my skin tends to get much drier than usual this time of the year.  During the winter months the humidity level outside drops causing the air to become cold and dry.  When this happens water from our skin is lost quicker than usual and can leave our skin feeling dry and tight.  There are things we can do to help when going outside, such as, wearing hats, gloves, scarves etc.  Another thing we can do to look after our skin is to moisturise on a daily basis.  I choose a moisturiser with glycerin in it.  This is what's going to help hold the moisture in our skin and stop it from becoming dehydrated and drying out.  I like to moisturise after I've been in the shower or bath.  When showering I like to bathe in warm water for no longer than 10 minutes.  Even though it can be tempting during the colder months, you shouldn't take long, hot showers or baths as this can dry out your skin and remove the protective oils your skin naturally produces.  It's important to pat dry our skin, not rub dry.  Then I'll moisturise, making sure you focus on the driest parts of my skins; hands, feet, elbows and knees.  At the moment I love using Nivea Body Lotion for Dry Skin.  It nourishes the skin leaving it very soft.

Taking care of your face & body come hand in hand so it's just as important to have a good cleansing routine for you face as well.  I like to use a cleanser and toner twice a day.  Sometimes this can be difficult, especially when it's late at night and I just want to go to bed but I know later on in life my skin will thank me for it.  Cleansing your face is good for many reasons.  Firstly, it preps your skin ready for moisturising, this step helps your skin absorb the moisturiser better.  It will also remove any dead skin cells, dirt, excess oil and unclog your pores which will prevent breakouts and leave your skin looking fresh and healthy.


Over the years I've tried many cleansers but now I've found a couple that I like and that suit my skin type.  One brand that I absolutely love and have been using for a while is Clinique.  I start off with their liquid facial soap, I use formula 3 for oily skin.  Lathering two pumps of the product in my palms with a little bit of warm water, I massage all over my face and neck then rinse off and pat my skin dry with a facial cloth.  It's also important to use separate towels to dry your body and face.  Using the same towel for both can cause bacteria & oils from your body to be transferred onto your face which isn't good for facial skin that is more sensitive and delicate.

The next step is to exfoliate, this is what's going to remove any daily dirt and grime and get your skin looking smoother and clear.  Plus, it can get rid of any excess makeup you haven't quite removed with a normal makeup wipe or other heavy skin products like sun cream.  I use the Clinique Clarifying Lotion (skin types 3) by applying a little to a cotton pad and sweep it over my face and neck.  Then, I'll follow that with a moisturiser, such as, Superdrug Vitamin E Moisturising Cream to add some hydration.  The day cream also protects your skin against UVA & UVB rays.  Even though it's winter time it's still important to use protection against the sun, it's still just as harmful as the summer sun.  I use both the day cream and night cream, applying it to my face and neck in circular motions to get the blood circulating.

If my skin is feeling extra dry and needs a little boost I'll use this Clinique Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate.  It keeps my skin looking fresh and dewy under my makeup, plus it can be used around the eye area too.  I use just 2-3 pumps, massaging it into my face twice daily.  I've been using this for a while now and I'm so impressed with how good it keeps my skin feeling throughout the day and I'd highly recommend it.



I find my lips are always prone to becoming dry, chapped and cracked so I like to use a good lip balm that helps heal and soften my lips.  I apply this throughout the day and before bedtime to keep my lips protected.  My favourite to use is the classic Vaseline Lip Therapy which is super cheap to buy.  I've been using this for years and the compact packaging makes it so easy to carry with you in your bag.  At the moment I particularly like using the Aloe Vera one as this helps add a little extra hydration to dry lips.  I'd highly recommend this one for anyone who suffers from very dry lips in the winter.



My Facial Skincare Essentials
From left to right: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap, 200ml, £17.50 | Clinique Clarifying Lotion, 200ml, £18.00 | Clinique Moisture Surge Supercharged Concentrate, 48ml, £36.00 | Superdrug Vitamin E SPF15 Moisturing Cream, 100ml, £2.99 | Superdrug Vitamin E Night Cream, 100ml, £2.99 | Vaseline Lip Therapy Aloe, 20g, £1.95

We tend to spend more time indoors when it's cold outside so it's also a good idea to set your central heating on a low setting. Having the central heating on a very high setting makes the air dry, which will dry out the layers of skin on our bodies resulting in chapped , dry skin.  Another way to replace the moisture in the air that is lost from central heating is to use a humidifier, particularly during the nighttime.  A humidifier will help keep your skin hydrated and relieve and dryness.

Finally, this last point isn't so much skincare products but more about how I look after my body in general which has positive effects on my skin as a result.  I'm a big believer in drinking a lot of water during the day.  It's important for our bodies to stay hydrated.  Our bodies are constantly losing water through our skin and we are always sweating even if we don’t feel like we are.  Not drinking enough water causes our body to get dehydrated, which also causes our skin to become dehydrated.  I like to make sure I'm drinking between 1-2 litres of water per day so I like to keep a water bottle on hand so I can chug way on it throughout the day.  I'm a big fan of water bottles, they're so handy and much better for the environment too.  Here's a selection of some that I'm loving at the moment;


From left to right: Discovery Adventure Water Bottle (holds 2.2L), The Range, £7.99 | VAST HydraCore Marble Effect Water Bottle (holds 17oz), £14.97, Amazon | Chilly's Stainless Steel Water Bottle in Rose Gold (holds 500ml), £25.00, Urban Outfitters | USN Water Bottle Jug in Pink (holds 2.2L), £4.99, Amazon | Double Wall Flask in Pink (holds 500ml), £5.00, Wilko

I hope you found this useful and try out some of my tips.  Do you follow any of these rules or maybe you have some of your own that you swear by.


Let me know in the comments below.

xoxo



Please note all thoughts and opinions are my own.  I only blog about brands, products and service that I would genuinely use and highly recommend to others.   Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any organisation, company, or individual.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig