Thursday 9 April 2020

How To Love Home Right Now

While we are trying to cope during this very difficult time, it can be hard to stay positive and find beauty in life.  For me, I'm into my fourth week of self-isolating and it's beginning to feel a little dull and mundane staring at the same four walls.  It can be very hard to stay sane when you're confined to your home & right now it feels like time has lost all meaning.  Luckily, I'm quite an introverted person and I can't imagine what it must feel like if you're an extroverted person...pretty challenging I imagine. I'm slowly learning how to love my surroundings amid this time and I wanted to share some things that have been helping me keep balanced.

Being at home for long periods can be difficult on your body clock. The days can become a blur and start merging into one. You can become stuck in a rut which makes it hard to keep yourself motivated. However, I find keeping my routine as typical to how it usually is, helps to stop the days feeling dull and mundane. Making time for the small things in life, whether that's taking time to make your bed in the morning or having a healthy, hearty breakfast, enjoy it! We've become accustomed to everything being so rushed and now we have time to slow down and enjoy life a little more.

I'm someone who likes to have a cosy home no matter the situation but something is comforting about making your home feel extra cosy by lighting some candles, watching a film with snuggly blankets or playing a board game with your family. As much as I wish life could go back to normal right now it feels like a good opportunity to make the most of this time we have at home.

It's always good to start off your day with positive vibes.  I'm seeing a lot of articles saying that this is a good chance to learn something new like a language or a musical instrument, but seriously??? Whilst we are at home, most people are either working from home or homeschooling their children at the moment (or maybe doing both) so in the grand scheme of things should we also be pressuring ourselves to be fluent in Italian by the end of all this? I think not.

Although, I do like to set some objectives the night before so that I can start the day off to a good start. It also helps me feel as though I've accomplished something and not just wasted the day. Don't overwhelm yourself! It doesn't have to be anything super challenging. Something as simple as organising a messy cupboard, taking the time to read a book or making time in the evening to play a game with your children. Don't be compelled into what society says you should be achieving at the moment. Set your own goals and don't feel guilty if it's not some huge impressive life goal.

Even though this is a very obvious one there's no better time to get organised in your home.  When it comes to the home we always have projects that are ongoing in our home and a lot of “I'll do that when I have time” jobs.  So why not take a day to tidy that spare room or clean those kitchen cupboards that are in desperate need of a reshuffle.


To me, there's nothing nicer than reading a book.  Reading can be a really nice way to escape from the craziness in the world right now.  Whatever the book you choose, whether its a biography or a novel, take some time out of your day to sit down and savour that time. I've been reading a powerful book by Edith Eger, a Holocaust survivor, called The Choice and despite it sounding like a bleak story I'm actually finding it really uplifting.


If you're someone who likes getting out and exercising you may be finding this time difficult.  It can be quite restricting when you're used to going to the gym or going on a bike ride but there are online options that are offering free workouts at the moment.  Here are some of my particular favourites that are carrying out workout videos that you can do from home.

Free bodyweight workouts from Gymshark
The fitness clothing brand is offering free workouts on its Gymshark Conditioning app.  Most workouts require minimal equipment or you can use regular household objects, like a chair.  There's workouts available for all 

Lululemon
Another athletic clothing brand that's hosting a range of free Instagram Live sessions, from yoga to mediation to general workouts.  They also give out self-care tips too as an added bonus!

Rebecca-Louise
This YouTuber is posting daily 10-15 minute workouts on her YouTube channel.  She mostly concentrates on workouts for toning your body but you can also find some yoga, pilates and ballet sessions on there too.  She's really motivating so if you need a little encouragement, definitely check out her channel.

Love Sweat Fitness
This is another YouTuber I love for motivational workouts.  The channel is run by Katie, who's channel has followed her from her weight loss journey to now running the successful wellness brand Love Sweat Fitness.  Her channel and blog both share quick workout routines as well as healthy easy meal ideas...so it's win-win.

Well, these are six tips of mine that I hope you'll find helpful during this crazy time we call Spring 2020.  I'm looking forward to a little bit of normality in the coming months.  How about you?

What is helping you stay sane at the moment?  What have been your favourite things to do at home?  What's one of your intentions whilst we are self-isolating?  Leave a comment down below!  I'd love to hear from you!  
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig