Wednesday 12 December 2018

Getting In The Festive Mood



This year I could wait to start decorating my tree....

I love decorating for Christmas and look forward to it each year. Being in a new home this Christmas, I wanted to make it extra special and decorate it in a way was to my taste.  I couldn't wait to start planning colour schemes and what decorations to buy.  To be honest, this is something I've been excited for since we moved into our new place.  I've been desperate for December to arrive so I could get the tree up and make our new home super cosy and festive.

I must have started buying my decorations in October.  I know this is quite early but I saw so many lovely decorations and wanted to buy them before they were gone.  This year I really like the autumnal tones that have been in all of the shops and opted for champagne colours with hints of blush rose gold & brown to accent the tree.  I wanted to go for something a little different than the tradition reds and greens that come around every year.  However, I feel because these a autumnal colours they won't date for a while and the blush tones could easily be replaced with other colours if I fancy a change one year.



To plan my tree I started off by emptying everything out onto the floor.  I find this helps so I can see exactly what I have in terms of colours, sizes etc.  Usually, I start off by adding the bigger decorations first, mostly to the bottom of my tree, then work my way up to the top adding the smaller decorations at the top.  Finishing it off by adding the star at the top.

              

A trend I've been seeing for quite a few years which I really love is winter woodland animals.  Some are more traditional in natural colours and textures while others are more modern in glitzy metallic hues.  This year I bought a glittery reindeer in a rose gold colour to match the colours of my tree decorations.  It looks very pretty and makes a nice little feature in the living room.  The high street have some lovely ones available at the moment.  These are some of my favourites;

From left to right: Sitting Deer with Red Saddle Christmas Decoration, £9.99, The Range | Silver Glitter Deer Table Decoration, £5, George Home | Amber Glittered Fox Decoration, £35, John Lewis | Squirrel Holding a Pinecone Christmas Decoration, £7.99, The Range | Christmas Woodland Standing Stag Wood Carved Effect, £18, Sainsbury's

 I haven't gone too crazy with other decorations around the house this year.  I recently posted about a DIY wreath centre piece I made which you can read here that looks great and adds a little festive touch to the dinning room table.  Plus, I added two reindeer argyle stockings next to the tree.  We don't have a fireplace in our living room so I had to make do with hooking them onto the TV unit.  Not exactly the same as adding them to a cosy mantelpiece but it still adds a nice touch next to the Christmas tree.  I'm also still waiting for my stocking to be filled..... (hahaha!)


To get me in the mood whilst I'm decorating the tree I put on a real festive Christmas film.  I love watching 'It's A Wonderful Life'.  It has to be my ultimate favourite Christmas film and it really helps me get in the mood, followed by a classic Christmas playlist.   Growing up I was so used to Christmas being during winter, with the cold weather and cosyness that comes with that time of year.  I have to say, it sometimes feels hard to get into the festive spirit when you're living in a country that has no seasons and is usually quite warm this time of year.  However, I'm truly feeling all the festive vibes this year and I'm loving it.


Thanks so much for reading this post!

xoxo


What new Christmas decor have you bought for your home this year?  What colour schemes are you decorating your home in this year?  Add love to hear from you!  Leave a comment down below!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig